Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Buckwheat Pancakes

   
    I became a lover of buckwheat for a few reasons. Not only is it amazing tasting, but its gluten free! Buckwheat is not actually "wheat". It's like being able to eat pancakes for a great healthy reason without the guilt, bloat and maple syrup hangover. Have you ever had a craving for pancakes or waffles and then immediately after you finish them you have that instant regret that you just consumed something that did absolutely nothing for you except make you full and sticky? If so this recipe is for you! 

     Beside the fact that this is a gluten free dish it is high fiber and protein. It will keep you full for a long time as well as help with digestion. Buckwheat reduces high blood pressure and researchers believe that it may help treat diabetes. One of my favorite things about these pancakes is that buckwheat draws excess water out of the body, so it will help you with a bloat! It is currently being studied for its benefits in plasma cholesterol reduction and the reduction of body fat. An all around great food to try. 


     I follow the recipe on the back of the mix I buy. You can find it at Lassens, I found this one at Pavilions for just under $5. I use raw honey & almond milk. You do not have to use almond milk, but I do so since I use cows milk in my cappuccini and do not like over doing it on the milk. Using almond milk as I do will also cut a few calories too! Also, this particular mix is all organic and they do not add ANY sugar! The sweetness is added just with the honey. I LOVE this because there is no extra hidden calories. If you can't find a mix this is another thats great:

Ingredients
1 Cup Buckwheat Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt (I use Kosher)
2 Teaspoons of honey ( I use raw)
1 Cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
(if you feel like your mix is too runny with this recipe as I often do...sprinkle in more flour until you get the desired consistency)

    I only eat 2 pancakes at a time, so I make the whole recipe then store it in a glass measuring cup to use it the next couple of days.


     Slice up fresh fruit; I use strawberries or raspberries usually.
(I sometimes heat the strawberries up in the oven for a bit if I'm in the mood for a little more richness)
Top with your favorite yogurt, I use Greek 0% fat vanilla

     If prepared my way with the mix, 2 pancakes with the yogurt and fruit comes to approx. 380-400 calories a plate. 


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment